So, you’ve decided to start surfing? Good for you! Surfing is a great sport and fun activity. Because you have to be a good swimmer, it is great for fitness reasons. Boarding sports are very popular. From 2013 to 2014, approximately 11 million people went snow boarding or skiing and that same number of people say they like to go skateboarding regularly. About 1.4 million people surf in the United States once a year. Nearly 400,000 surfboards are produced each year.
With so many surfboards out there, how do you know which one is right for you?
- Make sure you get the correct size board. Many beginners buy surfboards that are too small for them. Beginners benefit from bigger surfboards that bigger and more stable. Experts and the pros make using the smaller surfboards look easy to use but they have been doing this a very long time. Make sure you factor your weight and height in when looking at surfboards.
- How fit are you? Surfing is for people who are active and fit. It can be dangerous for someone who isn’t to do a lot of it. If you have not ever tried this, the bigger boards will make it easier to succeed and you will be more likely to stick with it.
- What experience do you have with any boarding sports? Maybe you are new to surfing but have had a skateboard and have been skating since you were young. Or maybe your snowboard is your true best friend. In these cases, you can probably try a smaller board because you know how boards work. Remember though, the ocean is different than snow or the street. It can still take a long time to master the sport.
- How often do you think you will use the surfboard? If you plan to go all the time, maybe multiple times a week then starting with a slightly shorter board is not horrible. Your skill level will grow to match the board but if you think you are going to hit the waves a few times each summer, you will want those few times to be great. In that case, the longer surfboards that can maximize your chance of catching a good wave and riding it successfully are much greater.
- Where will you do your surfing? Are the waves decent? Small? The smaller the waves are, the more a long board will increase your enjoyment of the sport.
Surfing is a great sport. It is a great way to enjoy the ocean and beach. It gives you a great total body workout from the swimming you do and the surfboarding itself. And it is fun looking at surfboards.
When shopping for surfboards, ask the sales staff about size. There are charts for height and weight that will line a person up with a board but there are other variables. Ask the what their suggestion would be for you.
Have fun and don’t forget your sunscreen!
If you have any questions about what board is right for you, please leave us a message in the comment section and we will respond. Thank you!