After a while the mundane everyday gets to be quite boring, and a great way to break away from that cycle is by taking up a hobby. However, I’m not talking about stamp collecting, but something that can transform not only your mind but your body. If you are looking to reinvigorate your life, you may want to consider the benefits that come from training the martial arts; particularly jiu jitsu.
The Benefits of Jiu Jitsu
The wonderful thing about taking up jiu jitsu, or any of the martial arts, is that it not only serves the mind, but the body. A couple of the most significant benefits that you can expect to reap include:
- The Physical Body. One of the most enticing benefits can be the weight loss and fitness factor. In a jiu jitsu class you can expect to workout every muscle, with results being evident sooner than you’d think. While many martial arts work as great was to lose weight and keep it off, jiu jitsu has become a favorite of professional athletes as a way to maintain their own weight. It also gives you might a tangible goal to focus on in the form of an opponent, as opposed to a dull lifeless treadmill screen.
- Defense. Martial arts in general offer a form of self defense, and jiu jitsu is no different. While many of us like to think that we’d perform adequately in a fight and hold our own, being able to throw a punch is not even half the battle. Being able to close distance and control your opponent are tactics that can win almost any altercation, even those with opponents much larger than yourself. This in and of itself makes jiu jitsu particularly appealing for women who are looking for a good form of self defense. Additionally, many police officers undergo training based on Brazilian jiu jitsu techniques. This is due in large part to the fact that these techniques can be the safest way to gain an upper hand and effectively diffuse a situation.
- Stress. Stress is something that plagues all of us, and oftentimes we don’t have a good enough way to let off some steam. Jiu jitsu serves as the perfect outlet to relieve stress, and take your mind off of whatever is bothering you. Millions of people turn to martial arts to help get away from the worries of work and life. Training in jiu jitsu allows you to let out your aggression, without the fear of hurting someone, or yourself.
- Energy. You may think all the hard work that goes into learning martial arts would tucker you out; however, the opposite is actually true. Sitting around and watching television may sound relaxing, but the inactivity can actually make you feel more tired and rundown. Participating in a sport or energetic activity has the opposite effect of perking you up and reinvigorating you. This means taking an early morning class could actually benefit you for the entirety of your day; not only giving you more energy, but allowing you to feel more accomplished overall.
- Problem Solving. Jiu jitsu works to train your mind, allowing you to hone your problem solving, and critical thinking skills. Many professional jiu jitsu practitioners liken the art to a game of chess. While it is a physical and aggressive art form, it requires quick tactical thinking to properly assess your opponent and counter their moves. Additionally, because this practice allows you to compete against opponents much larger than you, in the end it really comes down to mind over matter.
This list contains only a fraction of the benefits of learning jiu jitsu. In terms of martial arts, it is a good starting point for beginners, and one you can work towards mastering for years to come. Not only is it a great outlet for stress, but it can allow you to sharpen your mind and your body. If you’re looking for a way to reinvigorate your life, consider learning jiu jitsu; you’ll be amazed what it can do for you.